Thursday 12 September 2019

Mid Autumn Festival

Wednesday 11th September

For Mid Autumn festival at the end of this week we were given some gifts today, a huge mooncake and envelope with money.  The mooncake is huge, it looks like a Mayan tablet and is almost as heavy. This was like carrying a brick home. The one we cut up in school was full of nuts, thick pastry, delicious. I have no idea how I will dispose of this on my own, it is colossal.



We also received an envelope with 400rmb, approximately £45.  Not to be sneezed at, I’ve never been given cash money by a UK school as any sort of gift.  School keeps surprising me.


In the evening was our Wednesday RPG session, more Dungeons and Dragons... hopefully I will be able to paint some more figures soon.

Thursday 12th September

Last school day of the week, a holiday on Friday.  I’ve been feeling pretty tired this week, a few too many late nights, some lessons were a struggle!  I have done my first practical lessons with some classes and found them to be generally very trustworthy with the equipment.  The nicest thing was when asking them to place equipment at the back of the room, they organised it into piles without any prompting from myself. I’m used to having to direct pupils to do everything and then chasing up equipment still left around the classroom.


I was surprised to find a huge knowledge gap surrounding practical equipment, while they can use the items they can’t name a great deal of it.  Conical flasks, spatulas, tripods, all terms most were not familiar with.  You do get some surprised some days as pupils seem to have great knowledge of some topics and very little on others.

In the evening again went over friends to now start the Lord of the Rings RPG, and then a big game of Magic.  Again, it’s a relief having people who share your interests here... Some others in work, I am concerned that they find it harder because they don’t have that.

Last piece of good news this week, the third Chemistry teacher will not be arriving after all. Somewhat suspected it was going this way given the numerous delays for reasons unclear. I’m already on a full timetable so will not pick up other classes or cover, but many others will.

No comments:

Post a Comment